Written By: The Green Crunchy Mother
Several years ago, during my yearly cleaning ritual of the kitchen cupboards, I said good riddance to the last plastic containers that had been lingering around. I purchased glass containers to replace the plastic ones. I use them for everything to storing food in the freezer, packing snacks, and storing nuts. Nathaniel, my youngest son, used glass baby bottles when he was a baby. He used them under my supervision, considering glass can shatter if not careful.
The benefits of using glass containers:
- Glass packaging has received the seal of approval from the Food and Drug Administration, as it is the only packaging material “generally recognized as safe”.
- Glass is made from completely natural raw materials: sand, limestone and soda ash, and does not leach into foods or liquids.
- Considering glass is chemically inert, it can be heated safely.
The Dangers of Plastic:
- They contain BPA:
Many plastic containers contain BPA. Bisphenol A (BPA) acts as a “xenoestrogen.” This means means it behaves in a similar fashion to the female hormone estrogen. However, it has two exceptions:
1) It is foreign to the body. That is what ” xeno ” means.
2) It is more harmful than our natural estrogen for everyone, male and female. Breast cancers becomes a significant risk in women who carry high levels of xenoestrogens. Both males and females are subject to a huge range of other harmful health effects. In women, birth defects and miscarriages can occur. Another significant health effect is a disruption of beta cell function in the pancreas. This can create a pre-diabetes type condition of high blood insulin and insulin resistance.
- They contain Phthalates:
“Phthalates are a family of chemical compounds primarily used to make polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or vinyl flexible and pliant. Phthalates are used in hundreds of products in our homes, hospitals, cars and businesses”.
Source of Information: https://www.chemicalsafetyfacts.org/phthalates
Never leave a plastic water bottle on a hot surface. If the water bottle is heated, phthalates leak into the water that you drink. Phthalates (another xenoestrogen) are another common toxin found in plastic water bottles. Also, with repeated use of plastics, you may notice fine line scratches on them. This increases the surface area exposed to the liquid inside and it releases more of the xenoestrogens into the water.
Have you made the switch yet?