Does your family enjoy homemade soups as much as mine does? This Hamburger, Potato, Carrot soup with a milk gravy base, makes the perfect, one-pot meal. This recipe does involve some cutting and peeling vegetables, but I promise it will be worth your time. I hope your family and friends enjoy this delicious soup as much as mine did.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion (chopped)
1 pound ground beef
6 carrots (peeled and sliced in rounds)
4 medium potatoes (cut in small chunks or thin slices, your preference)
1 cup of frozen peas
2 tablespoons butter
2-3 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Steam the potatoes and carrots until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven sauté the onion in the olive oil until the onions are transparent.
- Add the hamburger and continue cooking until the meat is brown all the way through.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the hamburger/onion combination to a separate bowl.
- Dispose of the meat drippings (or use them instead of the butter in the next step).
- Add the butter to the Dutch oven (no need to clean the pan first) and melt it over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour, making a roux.
- Slowly add the milk until the flour/butter mixture is dissolved.
- Continue cooking until the milk thickens to about the consistency of gravy. (If it gets lumpy, simply strain it through a mesh sieve to remove the lumps and return the sauce to the pan.)
- Add the cooked hamburger, onion, carrots, peas, and potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Each serving is about 1 1/2 cups.